Baked Sweet Potatoes with a Delicious Twist
Sweet potatoes are a versatile and nutritious ingredient that can be enjoyed in various ways. If you’re looking to add a delightful twist to your sweet potato dish, then Cracker Barrel’s loaded sweet potato recipe is just what you need. This mouthwatering recipe combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with savory toppings, creating a flavor explosion in every bite. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply want to treat yourself to a delicious meal, this recipe is a must-try.
– 4 large sweet potatoes
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
– 1/2 cup sour cream
– 1/4 cup chopped green onions
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly and pat them dry with a paper towel.
2. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pierce each one several times with a fork. This allows steam to escape while baking.
3. Bake the sweet potatoes for about 45-60 minutes or until they are tender. You can test the doneness by inserting a fork into the thickest part of a sweet potato. If it goes in easily, they are ready.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are baked, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
5. Slice each sweet potato in half lengthwise and gently fluff the flesh with a fork.
6. Top each sweet potato half with shredded cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, sour cream, and chopped green onions. Feel free to adjust the toppings according to your preference.
7. Place the loaded sweet potatoes back in the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the toppings are heated through.
8. Remove from the oven and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve the loaded sweet potatoes as a side dish or a main course. They pair well with grilled chicken or steak.
Tips for Success:
– Choose sweet potatoes that are similar in size to ensure even baking.
– Feel free to experiment with different toppings such as caramelized onions, chopped pecans, or even a drizzle of maple syrup.
– If you’re short on time, you can microwave the sweet potatoes instead of baking them. Simply pierce them with a fork and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes, or until they are tender.
– For a healthier version, you can opt for low-fat cheese and substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream.
Cracker Barrel’s loaded sweet potato recipe is a crowd-pleaser that will impress your family and friends. With its combination of sweet and savory flavors, it’s a dish that is sure to become a favorite. So, why not give it a try and enjoy a delightful twist on the classic sweet potato?